January 2, 2010

1000 flighthours

I'm a thief but let me explain!

I've been reading Zhoozhitzu do Graugardo and he came up with this great idea of tracking 1000 hours of sparring and evaluating himself at certain stages of the project. I think this is an excellent way to analyze my game. However, instead of focusing on my hours of rolling, I would rather do it on my hours of instruction. So, enjoy the journey. I'm sure I will!

My focuses:

- As always, my bottom half guard game. It's something that has came very natural for me. I would like to learn more sweeps from here and work on pressuring my opponent from this position.
- Passing the guard. This has been my focus for quite a while. I have gotten a lot better but I can still see holes in my technique.
- Agression. Again, it was a focus before but it will remain one. I need to be more offensive rather than relying on having to be defensive. I need to go for AND finish submissions more often while keeping pressure on for the best position.
- Sweeps. I feel as if my sweeps are lacking. Not necessarily my knowledge of sweeps but actually using them SUCCESSFULLY while rolling would be a step in the right direction.

There you have it.

A couple random side notes since I haven't updated in a while:

I have been provided with some awesome instructional recently. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is so diverse and I love it but I need to start narrowing my focuses down. I've decided to put all of the Eddie Bravo techniques to the side until I'm a higher rank. I keep hearing that white belts really need to focus on the basic techniques and I would like to do just that. I have Roy Dean's Blue Belt Requirements, Damian Maia's Science of Jiu Jitsu and Jeff Glover's Deep Half Guard. Naturally, I am very interested in the deep half guard DVD so I shall make an exception. Other than that, I won't be focusing on anything fancy (no x-guard, no cool submissions or sweeps). I just hope to pick up little hints here and there about mount, passing the guard, escapes, etc.

1 comment:

slideyfoot said...

Heh - yes, getting over-excited and leaping straight into Eddie Bravo material as a white belt is a mistake, in my opinion.

Can't go wrong with Roy Dean, however: Blue Belt Requirements is still the best beginner instructional on the market. He's set to bring out a no-gi version soon, which should be very interesting.