July 2, 2009

Often he who does too much does too little

I wanted to make one more short post before I go to class outlining what my focus is this week. I will try to set a new focus at the start of every week. This week is almost over but my focus has been passing the closed guard and controlling more while in the mount position.

1. Passing Closed Guard
It is very tough for me to break the closed guard on anyone. I have a really tough time keeping balance while trying to the 'knee in the butt maneuver' and it has been really tough for me to dig in with my elbows. I have been told by a few people that it helps when they put your elbows right into that soft spot on top of the knee. I have worked that a little but not as much as I would like. My main focus when trying to pass the guard is the elbow drive and the knee in the butt.

2. Controlling in Mount
I find myself constantly getting bucked off my opponent when I gain mount. I have been trying to dig my feet into their sides/underneath my opponent more and it seems to be helping. I still find it very tough to control my opponent if they are significantly larger than me.

Since I am so new to Jiu Jitsu, there is obviously a TON of things that I need to work on. Through my reading and experiences talking to people, I have learned that it is important to pin point only a few things at a time. Hence the blog title.

No comments: