July 24, 2009

Got my new gear!

Well, I had been saying how I was waiting for my new blue Gameness Pearl gi and my Combat Sports sparring gloves. I've received them both. I knew from my Gameness single weave that my new one would fit very well and it does. It has held up 2 days of training so far. Once thing I did notice, the knot on the end of the drawstring on the pants came undone which struck me as odd. I haven't had an issue with my other Gameness pants. The gloves are super comfortable but I haven't had a chance to spar with them yet.

On to Jiu Jitsu!

Wednesday and today were both spent passing half guard using a few different methods.

1. Gable grip, tripod up while drive your shoulder into opp face
2. Use free leg/foot to help get your knee past their grown
3. Switch your hips and drive your knee towards the mat
4. Enjoy side control

1. Gable grip, tripod up while drive your shoulder into opp face
2. Secure the opponents arm (same side that has you in half guard)
3. Switch your hips and drive your knee towards the mat
4. Enjoy scarf position

Next (the case that the first pass was too difficult)...

1. Gable grip, tripod up while drive your shoulder into opp face, secure the back of the gi
2. Rotate your hips out, away from your opp
3. Free your leg either by pushing with foot or pulling opp leg away
4. Hit side control

Now, from there, you can grab your foot (as long as you control the back of their gi) and put it over them to secure a tight mount. After we drilled these a few times, we did a live drill. Bottom was responsible for sweeping us and we were responsible for passing their half guard. I need to work on my weight placement when I'm doing the tripod. It took me a couple tries to get it but when I went against a yellow (who had to be 200 pounds AT LEAST) and I used my shoulder drive, I was actually able to pass his guard. I was quite proud of myself.

Thursday class was spent drilling every sweep we know and then grappling. I drilled my scissor sweep, the flower sweep, and the sit up/roll sweep from half guard. I have been able to pull off the scissor sweep during live grappling quite a bit. The flower sweep not so much. I had the sensei should be the sweep again so hopefully I can perfect that a little more. I was unsure about the half guard sweep so I will be waiting for them to teach us more sweeps from that position.

I have found that even when training with people who are significantly larger than I, that I am doing very good at escaping bad positions and regaining some type of guard. I've always caught people trying to mount or switch sides with my legs aswell. I LOVEEE that I can see a specific improvement in my game. I am also very proud of my cardio and the amount of stamina that I have gained. It is a great ability to be able to use against people who are gased.

MMA

We worked a way to escape the clinch and did our normal stand up and ground sparring. I need to focus on my punching technique more. I find myself waiting for them to strike and just blocking so I need to work in some counter punches too.

Hopefully, Brittany starts MMA this week. I will feel a little more comfortable beating on the noobie!

No comments: